Our historic Clinton, NY
Bed & Breakfast
Griffin and his family were among the earliest settlers of the Mohawk
Valley. Arriving here in 1790, Nathaniel purchased a tract of land
owned by George Washington and George Clinton, the first governor
of New York. Nathaniel is listed on a register dated 1792 as an
original contributor to the establishment of the Hamilton-Oneida
Academy, which became chartered as Hamilton College in 1812. In 1855, George Griffin, the grandson of Nathaniel, acquired
the property where The Arbor Inn stands today. His farm consisted
of nearly 100 acres and remained in the Griffin family for 101 years.
The Griffin Homestead was sold in 1957 after the death of Bessie Griffin, who was a legendary teacher in the Clinton school system and one of the first women in the history of Hamilton College to receive an honorary degree. This commemorative event happened just two weeks prior to her death. After the Griffins sold the property, it passed through several owners until it was opened as a Bed and Breakfast in 2000. Today, Griffin House is proudly owned by Ellen and Dave Varecka, and has been greatly expanded as The Arbor Inn of Clinton, which includes lodging at the Williams Street Guest Suites.
Descendants of the Griffin family occasionally stop by to visit and they are pleased that their family home, now called The Arbor Inn of Clinton at Griffin House, is being well cared for and enjoyed by so many visitors.